Monday, March 30, 2009

A little crafty-ness

The hubby says that I have crafters ADD. I have tried lots of different crafts, but have not settled on one. Maybe I'm just looking for THE ONE. Maybe I'm just trying to prove to myself that I can do them? I don't know. I do know that I love crafting, whatever it is I decide to do that day!


Let's see....I've tried decorative painting, mosaics, floral design, decopauge, wire jewlery, scrapbooking, faux stain glass work, stamping, wooden box purses, took a sewing class, made faux topiaries (there is a funny story with that one!), stamp carving, paper mache, wool felt applique, and my newest adventure....hand embroidery.


Okay, so that does seem like alot when you put it in print. Hmmm, maybe the hubby is right, but don't tell him that!

I have taught myself almost everything I've done, with the exception of a One-stroke painting class, and the sewing class. The hand embroidery is by far my favorite. I think that it might be because it sort of links me with my Maternal Grandmother and my Mother in a crafty way.

My Mom's Mom quilted and crocheted, and my Mom did Cross-Stitch for as long as I can remember. Oh, I've cross-stitched as well, so add that to the list! I don't care for cross-stitching (sorry, Mom!) because I can never keep my place counting all those little colored boxes on the patterens! Ugh! I'm too much of a spaz to work the sewing machine, and hand quilting just seems like it would take too long. And with the emboidery, you can do anything you'd like. I have done two drawing that my kids did for me, a regular pattern, and I just finished my very first portrait! I need some work on my satin stictches, but I am very proud of how it came out.



2 comments:

Alex said...

I am right there with you! I have done the "gallery glass" faux stained glass, decopauge, stamping, topiaries (when do we get to hear the funny story on that one?), stenciling (I will be posting on that soon), and the sculpting and scrapbboking which I am still working on.
That is a very impressive portrait!! It says "I" belong to Sadie; will you, or one of the kids, be wearing it or is it to adorn some other belonging?

Carrie said...

I'll post the funny story next time! It's funny to me, but I don't know about everyone else, lol!

Thanks so much! I will be wearing it, hopefully. I have to figure out how I want to make it into a pin. I also bought some felt that I might redo it on.