Friday, June 12, 2009

Ballet Slippers and Diva-ish Behavior








My youngest, Moongazer, has been taking Ballet through our Home school group for about 6 months now, I think. She enjoys it, but it hasn't become her passion. She preferred to show me the stretches they do in class, than the actual moves! I think that might have all changed last night.

She had her first recital, and looooved it! She wasn't nervous, "Not one little bit," she said. She did a wonderful job for someone who refused to practice at home. I'm not kidding, either, she flat out refused! She remembered a lot more of the dance than I thought she would. We stayed backstage the whole time, since we had seen the performances two days before, at dress rehearsal. I wanted to take pictures backstage, and she liked watching from there. I really enjoy backstage, although, I think we might have been in the way some. We weren't the only ones, believe me!
She was absolutely gorgeous in her costume, and I'm not partial at all I tell ya. Her hair is thin and short, so it took me awhile to figure something out. Especially, since I'm not a big Girly-Girl, and have loathed doing my own hair since I was young. We had to fix it backstage thanks to the rain, but it actually turned in to a blessing. It looked so much better the second time around. And honestly, I'm secretly hoping that there will be more of these sorts of things to come. Whether it be ballet, or theatre, I loved getting her all dressed up. I think having a little girl is starting to bring out the inner girl in me, as well! And being backstage was so much fun. I have secretly had a dream to work on sets and things, but have been too scared to go through with it.

Although, it seems like the costume had some sort of effect on my sweet, darling, daughter. There was more than one instance (as you can tell by the first picture) of Diva behavior. Frowns, foot-stomping, the dreaded "tsk" noise, the whole thing. It was weird, I tell you!

The rest of the girls (and one boy) were wonderful, as well. I loved seeing them all dressed in their costumes, giggling nervously backstage with their classmates, and watching in quiet awe as their lovely teacher danced a solo. Standing there, surrounded by giggles, tulle, props, and my little munchkin glowing with excitement, I was in Heaven. And I think I might not have been the only one.

2 comments:

Tina Post said...

Lovely!

Michelle said...

Love this! I was always a girly girl, and involved in dancing - so I miss that about having boys. Although, I guess boys bring out a whole different side of me I've never explored before :)

Sounds like such a precious time for the two of you.

Glad you enjoyed Charlie and the Chocolate Factory! I think I'll put that on my list as well :) We also read the Wizard of Oz, then my older son wanted to hear the next one - Ozma of Oz. I'd love to get back to that series.

Hope you're having a great summer!