Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A little about us


Hi there! I'm a first year homeschooling Mom with two crazy kids, a wonderful hubby, a blind Basset Hound, and a newly adopted 2 year old Greyhound! I love blogs...although why I thought it appropriate to start my own, I don't know. I guess it isn't enough to talk to myself around the house, now I can do it via the internet!

We began our Homeschooling adventure two summers ago. Through a wonderful hobby called, Letterboxing, we met a gaggle of Homeschool families. I was intrigued right away. Our public school experience wasn't horrific, just so you know, but I was having a hard time "cutting the apron strings", I guess. I honestly think that I was meant to be a hardcore Stay-at-homer. Call it scared, lazy, whatever, but even on the days that I could scream for hours, I wouldn't trade it for the world. I missed my kids, now aged 8 and 5, and mornings were horrific! No matter what time we got up, we were late! And every afternoon, my son(the 8 yr. old) came home in the foulest moods. My daughter is the social butterfly, and likes to talk. She isn't ADD, she's 5, and enjoys being a kid. That dosen't mix well with the public school system. She was the one that I was the most worried about. My son is a fabulous public school kid. He is able to sit at his desk and do his work without a problem. She, on the other hand..... So, I talked to the hubby..alot..and we decided to try it out over the summer. Things went well! I realized I could do it, and was excited. Then, the notices started coming from the school. Open House was coming, and the voices inside my head (the good ones, not the weird "maybe you should talk to someone" kind!) went into overdrive. I freaked. I fretted. I begged the hubby to tell me what to do. He said, in his glorious wisdom, "It's your decision, you are the one that will be the teacher." Ugh! That didn't help at all! I caved and sent them back to school for another year. The boy (Computer Monster) went to 1st and the diva went to 4K. I regretted it the first week. Although, we were extremely blessed to have a wonderful first year teacher for the boy, and glad we got to know her. The diva (Moongazer) got notes sent home about her talking and playing, and visions of notes filled with the word Ritalin danced in my head. Then there came the "Shot incident", and ohhhh was I mad! I came close to yanking them that day! My doctor was just as upset with the school as I was! I love, love, love our family doctor! But, I let them finish out the year. That was the thing that pushed me to my final decision. We haven't looked back since! This year has been tough, and I've learned alot of lessons along the way, but that's what the Adventure is about, right?!

4 comments:

Alex said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, and welcome to the world of Blogger ;-)
The "shot incident"- I have no idea what that was- but it sounds bad.

Garden State Kate said...

Welcome to the "Blogosphere"!
I love getting to know other homeschool Moms.
The "shot incident"? Sounds bad.
I always wanted two kinds of dogs..and you have them both!
;-)

Life With Dogs said...

I don't have kids. Does homeschooling my dogs count? :)

Carrie said...

Thanks everyone! The shot incident probably dosen't sound as bad to other people when it's explained. LOL!
And, LWD, of course it counts! Homeschooling is a state of mind! LOL! ;-)