Thursday, February 26, 2009

February, Dread-uary


In the world of homeschooling, February is a hard month. Actually, January wasn't all that easy either, but it's not in the title of my post.

When we started this year, I thought that it would be more fun if we didn't use a curriculum. Note to self: Maybe you shouldn't think without supervision. We would be interest led, and use the library all the time. I mean, we were there every week anyway, right? Right! Wrong!! Well, not about the library part, we were there every week.....but the other stuff, not so much. It started off great, but as the months past, it began it's downward spiral. Books on my book list were checked out, so I was forced to come up with something on my own. Believe me, that isn't good for anybody. It's been way more work that I thought it would, which means alot less fun for everyone. My stress level is hovering near critical mass, and the kids' patience is wearing thin.

I don't want you to think that I thought homeschooling would be a breeze or anything. I knew that it would be work. Especially for me, seeing as how I'm organization impared, but I don't think that this is supposed to be this hard. We aren't having fun anymore, and homeschooling should be fun. For the kids, and for me. Yes, they are learning things... But, not in the way I had pictured. They are learning things in a public school way, and that defeats the whole purpose of bringing them home. What I mean is that they are just sitting here, learning the basics out of their workbooks like they would in school. I had pictured tons of field trips, doing our work outside in the yard, wonderful art projects that were not only fun, but educational as well, etc. It ain't happenin' people, and the only one I have to blame is myself, and that stupid little voice that told me I didn't need no stinkin' curriculum! Too bad the dog muzzle won't fit on the mouth of that stupid little voice.

So, we will keep chugging along with our work during the day, and at night I will be researching curriculums to see which one might fit us best. And on Monday, we will officially say goodbye to the dreaded month of Dread-uary! We might even have party hats and cupcakes!

1 comment:

Garden State Kate said...

Our homeschooling is never as creative as I would like in February either.lol
It's just a hard month.
July is much better for us! ;-)
Science at the shore is always a winner!